Who does this privacy notice apply to, and what is it about?
This privacy notice applies to you if you are or were a customer of National Express Limited trading as neon. If you are or were a passenger on any of the passenger transport services (other than the NEON services) arranged or provided any National Express group companies then the privacy notice applicable to those services can be found at nationalexpress.com.
This privacy notice, together with our cookies policy, explains what personal data we collect about you and what we do with it. It also explains your rights in respect of your personal data and it informs you what to do if you have any questions or complaints about our use of your personal data.
We take your privacy seriously and are committed to abiding by the relevant data protection laws which protect your privacy.
This privacy notice may change from time to time and the most up-to-date version will always be available on our website. It is your responsibility to read this privacy notice and check our website for the current version.
Who is controller of your personal data?
National Express Limited (trading as NEON) is the controller of your personal data that is or was processed for the purposes explained in this privacy notice.
The data controller’s representative for the purposes of this privacy notice is the National Express UK Data Protection Officer, who can be contacted using the contact details set out at the end of this notice.
What personal data do we collect about you, and how?
We collect the following types of personal data about you:
- Your name and title;
- Your home address including postcode and country of residence;
- Your contact information, including telephone number and email address;
- Your transaction/payment information (but please note that full debit card and credit card information is not processed by us as it is passed through to a PCI-DSS compliant third party payment provider in accordance good industry practice);
- Information about your travel behaviour;
- If you are disabled, information about your disability or mobility requirements;
- Information about your marketing preferences;
- Your image where it is captured by CCTV or other visual recording equipment on the passenger carrying vehicles used to provide our passenger travel services;
- Your voice, where this is captured by CCTV or any other audio recording equipment on the passenger carrying vehicles used to provide our passenger travel services and/or where captured in recorded telephone conversations with you; and
- Any other personal data that you provide to us when you communicate with us.
In addition, each time you visit our website we may automatically collect the following information:
- Technical information including web usage information (e.g. IP address), browser type and version, time zone setting, operating system and platform; and
- Information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URLs) clickstream to, through and from our Website (including date and time); tickets and/or journeys you viewed or searched for; time on page, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks and mouse-overs) and methods used to browse away from the page.
Please see our cookies policy which is available on our website for more information in this regard.
We collect this personal data about in a variety of ways, including:
- By you searching for products and services and/or purchasing products and services on our website by you submitting information via our website, for example via the ‘Request a Journey’ page
- By you providing information to us when communicating us in any manner, for example when you speak to our representatives on-board our passenger carrying vehicles, and when you contact us by letter, email, text message, telephone call or on social media;
- By you consenting to receive certain information from us, such as marketing emails and other promotional material about seat sales, offers, exclusive deals and travel ideas;
- By you entering our competitions or participating in post journey, market research and other surveys that we organise or conduct;
- By us making visual and/or audio recordings at our owned or occupied sites, including at our coach and bus stations and on the passenger carrying vehicles used to provide our travel services; and
- By us recording telephone conversations with our customer contact centre representatives.
We may also receive information about you if you use any of the other websites operated by other National Express group companies or we may receive information about you from third parties, such as companies that market and sell our products and services on our behalf or from any person who has bought our products and services for you or contacted us on your behalf.
What we use your information for
Our legitimate interest
What if we have obtained your consent to use your personal data?
Where we process any of your personal data on the basis of your consent you may withdraw that consent at any time.
Where you have consented to us sending you marketing communications, you may withdraw that consent at any time by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in any marketing communications we send you or by contacting us at email@example.com.
What are our obligations to collect and your obligations to provide personal data?
We have no legal obligation to collect personal data about you but we need to collect some personal data about you in order to provide our products and services to you and to collect payment for these and to deal with any questions or complaints you have about them.
You have no legal obligation to provide your personal data to us, but we may not be able to provide our products and services to you or deal with your questions or complaints if you do not provide us with the information needed for this.
Who will we share your personal data with?
We may share your personal data with:
- Other companies in the National Express group of companies;our suppliers, sub-contractors, business partners and our brand ambassadors who help us to provide our products and services to you, including but not limited to;
- The provider of the NEON website, 383 Project Limited, 20 Vittoria Street, Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham, B1 3PE
- The payment gateway provider, Braintree
- Other business partners in connection with the provision of their products and services to you;
- Our legal and professional advisors;
- Government bodies and regulatory authorities, including the Driver Vehicle & Standards Agency, the Police and other crime prevention and detection agencies, the UK Border Agency and other immigration authorities and the UK Information Commissioner’s Office;
- The Traffic Commissioners, the courts and other dispute resolution arbitrators and mediators, other parties to legal proceedings and passenger transport watchdogs;
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our websites; and
- Other companies that take on any part of our business as a result of a restructure, merger or transfer of that part of our business.
Where we share your information with business partners for the purpose of them providing their products and services to you, it may be essential to do this to fulfil a contract with you. In other cases, we do this only with your consent, generally where you have selected the relevant preferences in your account with us (if you have one). Where this applies, the business partners are data controllers of your personal data that we provide to them and their privacy notices or policies apply to how they handle your personal data. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for these third parties or their handling of your personal data.
In addition, if you follow a link to any of the websites of advertisers and affiliates that are on our websites, these third party websites may have their own privacy notices or policies, and we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these notices or policies or the third parties’ handling of your personal data. Please check these notices or policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Do we make international transfers of personal data?
There may be occasions where it is necessary for us to transfer the personal data we collect about you to a country outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It is possible that the country concerned may not be deemed to provide a similar level of protection for individuals’ rights in relation to their personal data as in the EEA.
Where we transfer your personal data to other National Express Group companies and/or third parties who process your personal data on our behalf in countries outside the EEA that are not deemed to provide a similar level of protection for individuals’ rights in relation to their personal data as in the EEA, we have entered into appropriate contracts with those National Express companies and third parties based on the standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission, a copy of which can be found here, such that your personal data should be afforded the same level of protection as when it is processed in the EEA.
For how long will we process your personal data?
Where we process your personal data to fulfil a legal obligation, we will process such personal data for so long as necessary to fulfil that obligation.
Where we process your personal data to fulfil a contract with you, we will process such personal data until we fulfil that contract and for so long thereafter as may be necessary to keep a record of that contract, which will typically be for six (6) years, and to deal with any complaints or claims relating to that contract, which will be until the final resolution of such complaints or claims (having regard to the nature of any potential claims and the limitation of liability periods that apply to them).
Where we process your personal data based on our legitimate interest, we will process such personal data for so long as necessary to achieve that legitimate interest, which will typically be for six (6) years after we collect your personal data or the last time we use your personal data (or longer in relation to any legal claims that might arise having regard to the nature of any potential claims and the limitation of liability periods that apply to them).
Where we process your personal data on the basis of your consent, for example to send you marketing information, we will process such personal data until you withdraw that consent. Please bear in mind that it may take a short time to process any withdrawal of your consent. We aim to do this within 48 hours of receipt of your request, although you may still receive emails that are already in process around the time of your withdrawal.
We may also retain your personal data for longer if we cannot delete it for legal, regulatory or technical reasons.
What rights do you have in relation to your personal data?
You have a number of rights in relation to your personal data. These include the right, subject to exceptions, to:
- Access your personal data;
- Request the rectification or erasure of your personal data;
- Request restrictions on the processing of your personal data; and
- Object to our processing of your personal data.
Please contact the National Express UK Data Protection Officer if you wish to exercise any of these rights.
You also have the right in some circumstances to receive a copy of your personal data in a portable format. This right is limited to personal data that you have provided to us and is processed on the basis of your contract with us or your consent. It does not cover personal data that we process on other grounds.
Please contact the National Express UK Data Protection Officer to request a portable copy of the data that you have provided and is processed on these bases.
What should you do if you have any questions or complaints?
If you have any questions or complaints about how we process your personal data or otherwise about the matters set out in this privacy notice, you should contact the National Express UK Data Protection Officer at:
- Address: Data Protection Officer, National Express, National Express House, Birmingham Coach Station, Mill Lane, Digbeth, Birmingham B5 6DD
You also have the right to complain to the UK Information Commissioner's Office about how we use your personal data. You can do this by contacting them on their helpline: 0303 123 1113.